Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spatial Relations

A thought process that doesn’t conform to a predetermined philosophic outlook is something that I wish to develop. I can’t help but wonder if I might just stumble across a frontier that hasn’t been discovered yet. Obviously there are many individuals who pride themselves on being “independent thinkers.” It’s probably a valid claim, but I am more interested in developing a pattern of right thinking than preoccupying my mind with obscure philosophy. It is on this premise that I have determined to examine life in all of its intricacies and establish what is right for me in relationship to eternity.

I have a friend with which I have the privilege of frequently debating the issues of life. We were talking about how incredibly illogical it is to pretend that there is not an afterlife. In this particular discussion we may have disagreed about what that would look like, but the important thing to recognize is that the things we say and do are directly linked to this reality. I don’t know about you, but that is a sobering consideration and I would strongly suggest that without making this assumption your life is aimless and insignificant.

What does eternity have to do with the thoughts that I think? The short answer is everything. The problem that we have is that we try to justify our actions in regards to what makes us feel good. When we are sufficiently happy we will, sparingly, give ourselves to better the life of someone else. This system is known as a hierarchy. I am not disputing the importance of social order, but rather illustrating the blatant narrowness of a self centered society.

For me to sit here and write about the errors of others is in itself a wrong approach to life. I read in the book of James today, he talks about not bragging about yourself: As it is you are full of your grandiose selves. All such vaunting self-importance is evil. In fact, if you know the right thing to do and don’t do it, that, for you, is evil. This is pretty self explanatory, but it’s worth noting that doing an intentional wrong is equally detestable.

I will close by mentioning one other matter that is weighing on me quite heavily. I had a person tell me that they don’t want to come to church anymore because they are too big of a sinner. I was really quite surprised to hear them talk like this… because they know full well that God is always ready to forgive them. Going to church or not going to church really isn’t the issue though. This person is caught in a place where he can no longer justify two opposing ways of living. I think the danger for all of us is that we can so easily believe a lie rather than accept the truth that is so plainly laid out in front of us.

James 3: 13 Do you want to be counted wise, to build a reputation for wisdom? Here’s what you do: Live well, live wisely, live humbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment