Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Drive Through, Dine In, or Boycott.

Several months ago one of my friends saw me riding my ten speed, and thought to himself; “There goes the only hipster in town.” The fashion trends, and preferred  modes of transportation, are only the start. It got me thinking about how the rise of the hipsters is something bigger than black rimmed spectacles. I was listening to a radio interview in which they were discussing the changing economic playing field that is emerging, especially during the holidays. 

My generation is appalled by the idea of consumerism, and would much rather find non-traditional alternatives. They’ve grown up during one of the most affluent generations in N. American history. The backlash should be expected. Their parents did the same sort of thing during the hippy era. When they got tired of living self destructive life styles they set out to make something useful of themselves and became remarkably good at it. What they never could have expected was that their kids would come to despise anything t associated with the aristocracy. 

The hipster movement is very unique, because it consists of people who for the most part are very well educated. It’s not hard to see how a deliberate effort that is gaining momentum worldwide will do more to change the course of history than anyone has yet realized.

Progress is an aimless illusion. The pendulum swings back and forth...yada yada....
Capitalism failed. Communism failed. We’ve occupied, we’ve gone on strike, and now we’re growing our own gardens and knitting sweaters. 


My role is equally important, and has been revealed to me by divine inspiration: I’ve decided to rent out my fleet of bicycles to anyone who wishes to be Idle No More
-All proceeds will be used to disband the Tragically Hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment