Saturday, February 27, 2010

Doctor Doctor

It is not often that I feel an urgency to put my thoughts on paper, and to oppose such a peculiar state of mind is futile. Sometimes I like to revert to an objectively oriented style of writing; so as to make my point readily understood. There was this philosopher that I met about a year ago, who delivered his message in a much broader fashion. I enjoyed it because he didn’t stop to explain every point. He simply stated several relative points, and allowed his listeners to ponder them and arrive at their own conclusions.

As I’ve never attempted to pen an article in this manner, I hope that it will work as well as I imagine it should. I can’t help but wonder why it is that we want to categorize every little thing we feel (or don’t feel) and blame our actions on our emotional state. I’d rather that my actions preceded my emotions, and that they were directly related to each other. We are more accustomed to an inverse response. Our search for fulfillment should never overrule the underlying desire to do what is right.

This ineptitude to quantify comprehensibility is almost unbearable. There seems to be this passion that can only be identified as a projected fantasy. How can I pretend to love something that isn’t a present reality? It is so easy to affix our eyes on future achievements, without understanding that it is tangibly linked to the present. We understand the concept of work = success, but we don’t fully understand that our earthly work cannot be separated from our eternal work.

Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life’s deepest joy; true fulfillment. – Anthony Robbins

When I read this statement two things came to mind. My instinctive reaction was to say yes absolutely, I cannot live a self-centered life and be happy living it. Secondly, I believe that you still have an obligation to discern for yourself an appropriate cause. If you spend your whole life working in the name of philanthropy you will become discouraged and ineffective. Our whole lives were essentially designed for one purpose only, and it is of utmost importance to align ourselves with a life-giving cause.

The other day I thought of this analogy. There is a Doctor who meets with each of his patients. He proceeds to prescribe the appropriate medication on a case-by-case basis. In the same way, we are each given a God given mandate, that if adhered to will result in full health. It is interesting to also ponder the reality that the Doctor will not refuse anybody, and that he offers healing to everyone that will receive it. Consequently we also are expected to take his healing power that lives within us to those who are broken. It seems to me that there is a certain ring to the words “cause and effect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment