Thursday, February 11, 2010

Halfway Gone

This summer I had the opportunity to run the half marathon in Regina, Sk. When I went to register I couldn’t help but notice that the half-marathon line didn’t look like the full-marathon line. There was a very distinct difference between those who run the half marathon, and those that run the full marathon. The half marathoners come in all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels. The full marathon runners are almost exclusively tall, skinny, and in very good physical shape. It is reasonable to conclude that there is a certain echelon of individuals that have dedicated their time and energy to do effortlessly what most other people could only do with great difficulty.

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit this past week. We’ve all been told a thousand times that practice makes perfect. When I ran I did well,but if I had trained more I could have placed better. The point I’m trying to make is that it is easy to go “halfway”, but it requires a certain type of discipline and vision to see a dream through to completion.

The Kingdom of God works very similarly, but I want to make it very clear, that it is an inverted Kingdom. The last go first, the servant is honoured. We understand all these things, and yet our tendency is to get frustrated when we feel that we don’t measure up to what we expect that God wants from us. I came across this verse in Matthew 11:28-30
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

It is so remarkable that despite our failures, God is always there to work alongside us, He takes the pressure off. I heard someone say the other day that Faith = Risk. Sometimes you will have to push yourself further than you have every gone before. It should be an element of daily thought to ask yourself the question, “How old are my stories?” Everyday you have the chance to get up and start a brand new day… and write it’s happenings in the pages of history, and relay them, as an inspiration, to others.

2 comments:

  1. You can become great at anything in life. I think every one has the ability to become the worlds best runner or whatever else.

    The reason why people become very good at what they do is because they enjoy it more then any one else. So there so called hard work is really not hard work. Of course to every one else seeing a runner jog every day will say he is working very hard, but in his eyes he's just doing what he loves and to him it has nothing to do with being hard or being work.
    Usually when people use the word work it makes them think of forcing your self to do something you do not want to do. That is my thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree... if you enjoy something you are more likely to keep doing it. Sometimes we have to learn to like things that we initially don't though...haha.

    The other thing to consider... is to say look at some of the great composers. I think that for you and I, it wouldn't be our natural gifting... and to produce such a masterpiece would be work. It's not impossible, but it might be second nature to others.

    ReplyDelete